Wednesday 27 January 2010

Reading Barbara Pym

Just finished 'An Unsuitable Attachment' and started 'Jane and Prudence' and have had to tear myself away to make the carrot cake. Which is a bit of an improvisation, with a tin of apricots rather than pineapple, owing to the fact that my store cupboard is a bit bare at the moment.
I think a big shop is called for.
I was at the shops this morning, taking Audrey to the Bank, but didn't really have time to do much beyond grab a quick lunch for us from Cooks.
But what can I say about Barbara Pym that hasn't already been said?
She is so funny - and sad too (in her later books) with a wonderful Autumnal melancholy. And she recreates a vanished world - a world that I saw vanish. I must find some quotes and put them in a blog.
I managed finally to find the gentleman who was made redundant at home, had a brief chat, and he took the article I bought him - and said he will read it. Its from an old 'Awake' magazine and is full of practical and common sense ideas to help all who are looking for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment