Thursday 4 March 2010

LIKE FALSE MONEY

We - the Captain and I - went to the launch of the thriller 'Like False Money', by Penny Grubb, (published by Robert Hale).

It went very well. ALCS did Penny proud. A lovely venue, lots of wine and nibbles. And Pen's presentation had us laughing all the way through. There were loads of questions after, and she gave us some very sensible advice about writing.

I had wondered where the title came from, and the book jacket explains:

"False opinions are like false money, struck first of all by guilty men and thereafter circulated by honest people who perpetuate the crime without knowing what they are doing." Joseph De Maistre

A good quote.

We bought back signed books for Jackie and Bea, who couldn't make the launch, but who hope to get to the next one.

I am looking forward to reading the finished version in book form, as I have seen it in bits and pieces over the years on our internet writers group.

What I remember most about it from these glimpses is that it is set in Hull, has a great sense of place, and that i didn't guess who did it.

Quiet day today, although not for the Captain who swarmed off with the Treasure Hunters. I find even a day in London tires me out now! I did his packed lunch this morning - the usual pollen sandwiches and a flask of nectar - did my studying and worked on the comments that Malcolm has asked us to make tonight at the meeting. He will be talking about the Book of Ruth from the platform, and we have to make a short comment each. I have got four worked out - one for each of us (in case Maggie has forgotten) and a spare for each of us, as we don't know what points he will cover in his talk.

I should have thought to ask him.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the write up, and thanks for coming. I thoroughly enjoyed the do. A great bunch of people, and yes, isn't the ALCS venue wonderful?
    Love Penny x

    ReplyDelete