Friday 18 March 2011

Bahrain

I have been struck down by a very bad arthritis attack - back, right ankle, hands, you name it.  Two sleepless nights so far. So I haven't been doing much.   But I was thinking about Bahrain - that pretty island state which was so peaceful in our days in ExpatWorld.  We spent many weekends there, with Chuck, Mary and the Shoal, then later on we would just go over for the day - shop and have lunch.  We saw a wonderful Brian Ferry concert there with Bob during The Troubles in Saudi.  It was a baking hot Bahrain summer night, and we were outside in the grounds of the hotel.   He finished with a resounding version of "Woolly Bully".  And he didn't do any encores.  But then Brian and I are not as young as we were.

And we went through the airport in Bahrain many many times.

I wrote this, twenty (?) years ago, during a long weary wait in the small hours.


WAITING IN BAHRAIN
 by me 


The landscape to the East

Is tilting fast towards the sun

Clouds are being edge with pink

Runway lights grow pale and wan.


I note that I didn't manage to get anything distinctively Bahrain into the little poem, but there again, these days, one international airport is much like any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment