Monday 13 June 2011

At Cissbury Ring

It was a perfect summer day today - blue skies, scudding clouds, - and we spent the afternoon on Cissbury Ring.   We met up with Neil - also out hunting for the...?  see the Captain's Log for the name of the creature.

Maggie and I were out all morning doing our magazine routes.   Its great spending time together in the preaching work.  And we found quite a few at home.   I had an appointment with the Lung Lady after lunch - all seems OK - and if my tests continue to be so, she will only need to see me every year from now on.

I still wonder at ending up here, in the chalky downlands, flint shining everywhere, stepping over the "close bit thyme" of the Kipling poem, "Sussex".

I think I will quote a line or two now:

We have no waters to delight
Our broad and brookless vales--
Only the dewpond on the height
Unfed, that never fails--
Whereby no tattered herbage tells
Which way the season flies--
Only our close-bit thyme that smells
Like dawn in Paradise.



 Like dawn in Paradise



No comments:

Post a Comment