Wednesday 27 July 2011

More Sad News

We got the sad news today that a friend of ours from Expatland has died.  He was the same age as me.   Ralph was American -  a lovely person.  And he was one of the ones responsible for giving us such an excellent library.

Now we must write to his wife in France...  What can we say about such a loss for her?

I was remembering his dog Max - a very fierce Alsatian.  He adored Ralph and Mrs R. but not only had no time for anybody else, but was quite fierce about his dislike.   I was The Lady who Ran the Boarding Kennels for some years, and Young Master Max stayed with us now and again.  He was a very intelligent dog and would tolerate the guys who worked in the back.  He never bit them.  But he had no time for me, and I got a warning "I mean business lady" growl if I got too close.

One day as I was rushing out the back door into the yard on some urgent errand, I bumped into Max who was on his walkies.   His walker gave a gasp of horror - as did I - but Max just gave me a cold look and walked on by.

He did not bite me.

He has accepted me at last, I thought, I am now a piece of the Kennel Club furniture.  So to celebrate, when I did my morning rounds with the doggie treats, I offered him some (I usually stayed well away).  Sadly, he growled and made it clear that he did not talk to the furniture.

However, he did not bite me, and he well could have done, given I ran right into him.

He was one of only two dogs who stayed at my Doggie Hotel who was completely unbribeable, refusing all my offers of doggie biscuits and suchlike.

I am glad that Ralph outlived him, as I don't think Max could have lived without Ralph.

The Channel is calm today.  There are some new pink geraniums on our balcony.  The earth is so lovely.  And I hope that Ralph is sleeping safe in "the everlasting arms" and will wake up and see this beautiful world again, when the time comes.

Is there any chance we can be re-united with the pets we have loved and who loved us?

That is something to leave safe in Jehovah's hands too.  

After all, if we loved them, He loved them even more.


Anyway, this is supposed to be my diary so what have we been doing?   Not a lot. Getting slowly back into routine after the Convention - and coping with the side effects of being back on the new medication.  Audrey and were out on the field service yesterday. We were calling on not-at-homes, and we also did a couple of return visits.  Otherwise it has been some shopping and housework and studying.  Its Hall Cleaning on Saturday - it was to have been Thursday, but we have swapped this week - its the meeting tomorrow - Maggie will be there.  I called in for coffee with her on Tuesday and gave her the new releases from the Convention, together with a programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment