Monday 14 May 2012

Into the Surrey Wilderness

Old Lodge nature reserve, Ashdown Forest
Can I get an adventure book out of this?  And win the Boardman Tasker award?  Or is that just for books about mountain climbing?

Anyway, our nail biting adventure went like this.   Col drove me to Haysbridge - got there in good time - he left me at the gates, to avoid the queues - and I hobbled slowly and painfully into the auditorium.  It is very depressing to think how much I have deteriorated over the last year.   I found Maggie straight away and there was a spare seat right by her.

A morning of lovely and perfect teaching followed, and two young sisters were baptised.   Then I hobbled slowly and painfully back to the gate, and was very relieved to see our car, with Captain B in it, eating his sandwich lunch.
Common Heath, Ematurga atomaria
He had spent the morning at The Old Lodge Nature Reserve - braving herds of moths and suchlike. And got some great photos.  It was a perfect May day, as I hope the photo shows.

Then Janet came to stay the night.  A lovely surprise.  We had a Thai takeway (thank you The Lemon Grass for your usual prompt service and tasty food), followed by choc ices.

She has put an interesting thought in my head.  And whoever it was just said, "Well, there's plenty of room for it", can go and stand outside the blog door.

She was saying how politically minded they were at her school.  Now she is about 10 years younger than me... and, I know it was a long time ago, but I can't remember politics ever being mentioned in my Convent schooldays.

Perhaps they were, and I have just forgotten?

No comments:

Post a Comment