Friday 24 August 2012

The Thoughts of Chairman Sue

I doubt I will be doing much today, beyond a fair amount of staggering round the flat groaning and saying "Oh, my knees", so I wonder if I can manage a thought or two for my blog. Will the two brain cells whirling round the vast empty space inside my head collide, and produce a thought?  However, before I actually start any thinking I must brave a trip to the great outdoors and put the rubbish out.

 Done!   And it did get me musing about the 1950s.  Minimal packaging compared to now.  Not so much in the way of packaged convenience foods, and no fast food then that I can think of bar fish and chips, which was a rare holiday treat.  And of course every house that had a garden or backyard had a compost heap, and maybe chickens to eat up scraps.  We always had both garden and compost heap.  Daddy (a country boy from the fields and forests of Belarus) used to grow comfrey in his herb garden and put the leaves on the heap, and he also used to buy something called Garotta (I think), to compost it all. I did start up a compost heap in our Arabian garden, but found that all I had done was make a cockroach nursery.

Now, leaving the chairman for the moment - and I suppose it should be The Thoughts of Chair Sue, unless I want a visit from the Thought Police! - although would that bring a risk of someone mistaking me for large flowery sofa and sitting on me? - here is something well worth thinking about - the perfect definition of love from the Creator of the amazing human brain.  Its from 1 Corinthians 13:

" Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up,  does not behave indecently, does not look for its own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury.  It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth.  It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.  Love never fails..."

I was also thinking today about how people seem to be on a much shorter fuse. We have things like "road rage", and "air rage", and even "trolley rage" at the supermarket.   So at a very stressful time in human history when we need to be long-suffering - slow to anger - we are being encouraged to go the other way.  And bragging seems to be encouraged now.  

The Chair, exhausted by all this thinking, will now sign off for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment