Monday 8 April 2013

More Dreams

Roger's visit, with his update of the tragedy that has recently overtaken one of our friends from the expat years, must have been preying on my mind, as last night I dreamt that I was back in Expatworld, at the company hospital, talking to my lovely Lebanese arthritis doctor. Though what was said I do not know.

And I finally got my appointment with the knee surgeon, which is also on my mind.

A quiet day today - a grey old day too, but with a calm Channel.  We lunched off the remains of the chicken casserole, and I made a crumble out of some blackberries we have had in the freezer for ages.  Lilian rang yesterday and we had a long chat; Audrey phoned today, and I emailed Anne o'the Cape.

I have been a butterfly bureaucrat, as the March memberships came through the letterbox. They are all ready to fly off to the Post Office tomorrow.

We got the news today that Mrs.Thatcher has died.  She was the first - and so far only - woman to become PM.

We were trying to analyse her reign.  The thing about her, I suppose, was that she was a leader.  And so many politicians nowadays seem like empty suits.

Is it that the hands that really pull the strings (see below*) are coming more and more into view - or is that politics always look like this from the point of view of old age?

She did have an amazing career, in political terms, though I try to have no political opinions.  And she was a gift to cartoonists.  Will Jehovah remember her, and awake her from the sleep of death when the time comes?   If so, she will find herself in a world without politics - in an earth restored to Paradise.    Then her real life can begin - a life more full of joy than she could have imagined.


*"Finally, go on acquiring power in [the] Lord and in the mightiness of his strength. Put on the complete suit of armor from God that you may be able to stand firm against the machinations of the Devil;  because we have a wrestling, not against blood and flesh, but against the governments, against the authorities, against the world rulers of this darkness, against the wicked spirit forces in the heavenly places.  On this account take up the complete suit of armor from God, that you may be able to resist in the wicked day and, after you have done all things thoroughly, to stand firm." - Ephesians 6:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment