Thursday 30 May 2013

Huge mirrors

I have just finished "Reading Lolita in Tehran" by Azar Nafisi. And I recommend it. And I hope to say some more about it when I have done a bit of a blog catch up.

She starts with an extract from "Annalena" by Czeslaw Milosz.

"To whom do we tell what happened on the
 Earth, for whom do we place everywhere huge
 Mirrors in the hope that they will be filled up
 And will stay so?"

I was intrigued by Lolita. Why Lolita?  Her answer is a very interesting and sad one.

Col fetched and carried me from the meeting tonight. I hope I can keep going up to my ops, but I am in such pain.  I also have a very bad cold, so couldn't take my fortnightly meds.  Which does not help.

Went to see the Anaethetist on Tuesday, and got a bit confused and followed the wrong nurse.  Fortunately, before they actually started to saw my old knee off, the muddle was sorted out, and those of us who had got it wrong were returned to the right bit of the hospital.

Early appointment at doctors the next morning - for blood pressure check.  They changed the venue on me at 8.30 a.m. so we had a mad dash to a more distant surgery, and then a long long wait - even though I was the only one in the waiting room. By the time he came to take my blood pressure I was so het up I expected to explode the machine.  But it was, and I quote, "lovely".

So I hope that means it was good - not that it was lovely in the sense that it was about to achieve another patient cull.

Jacks is coming for supper tomorrow - and IF I can totter off to the shops with the Captain I will make a fish pie and a summer fruit salad.  If not, it will be a takeaway.

I can't reply to anybody's email now - we have a new computer system - glitches - so apologies to those who have not yet got a reply. We hope to fix it tomorrow.

The new bathroom is finally finished!  It looks very smart.  And I am not sure that I want anyone going in there and using it and getting water on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment