Wednesday 31 July 2013

A lovely surprise

A lovely surprise in my mailbox this morning - some beautiful comments on my blog from a gentleman called Izzy who I had written to some time ago, via the net.  I hope so much he will keep in touch.

A cool cloudy day. The Green seems quiet without our visitors. Not that they were particularly noisy but they bought a whole world with them that suddenly vanished.

Can't say I have done much today. My foot is still very swollen but not as painful.  Audrey rang, we had a chat.  And Maggie rang to say she won't be at the meeting tonight. She always gets there early and saves a seat for me. Captain B was around for lunch today, I used up the rest of the tomatoes and made a tomato and chickpea casserole, which turned out quite well.  And Linda says she will come round and cook a Thai meal for us, which I hope she will, as she is an excellent cook.

I am re-reading Agatha Christie's "The ABC Murders". This time, I can remember who did it and how and why, but its still fun getting there and watching Hercule Poirot surprise everyone at the end.   Very ingenious.

I feel I ought to manage some great thoughts on the political issues of the day, but my brain cells aren't up to it - neither of them.  But every day that goes by reinforces my belief in the Bible's warning that the whole world is lying in the power of "the wicked one".  When I was first shown that  at 1 John 5:19, which says: “The whole world is lying in the power of the wicked one.”, I did think that if that was true, it would explain so much.

And I feel that more and more strongly all the time.

But, on a much happier, note, it won't be for much longer.  A perfect rescue is at hand.

2 comments:

  1. when the lilith fad came through about a decade ago, i delighted in asking young enthusiastic lilith fans who lilith was. all of them said she was in the bible which of course she's not. i found her in the babylonian biblical account of the garden of eden and was impressed by the Mesopotamian version of the evil ones. Lucifer was still in there but in the iraqi version, lilith, a naked hermaphrodite is put in there by allah to teach Adam the facts of life without having to eat the forbidden fruit. Apparently, Adam was uninterested and she left, as one of many pre-Eve choices created by God, did. i'm sure this is old hat to you but if not, it's interesting. if lilith was in the bible, then she'd be another object of fear and hatred for you, which would be doubly threatening. wikipedia has a blurb on her/him, an architypal evil being, if you're interested, i think it's significant and ironic that young women chose her as an icon of femininity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Izzy, from a lovely morning on the South Coast. Yes, you are of course right. Lilith is a figure from human tradition, she does not appear in the Bible. But sadly how many people know what the Bible on their shelf really says? I didn't, for all my years of churchgoing - Catholic and Protestant. It wasn't till the Jehovah's Witnesses called, and I listened to them, that I began to understand.

    It is troubling though that young women are choosing Lilith - a kind of Babylonian goddess figure I suppose? - as an icon of femininity.

    Didn't the whole thing start to go wrong when Satan suggested to Eve that she could be a goddess herself, that she did not need to accept her Creator's standards of good and bad, but decide for herself as if she were a god?

    "At this the serpent said to the woman: “You positively will not die. For God knows that in the very day of your eating from it your eyes are bound to be opened and you are bound to be like God, knowing good and bad.”

    The fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and bad symbolised that it is Jehovah alone who has the right to decide what is good and what is bad. But Adam and Eve decided to cut themselves off from their Creator, their Source of life, and set their own standards. In doing so they killed themselves, and fatally damaged all of us, their unborn children. And of course they stepped right away from the law of loving-kindness.

    Doesn't that explain the strange and sad relationship between men and women down to this day. We could make each other so happy, but so often we do just the opposite.

    Adam and Eve had a perfect relationship - two halves of one whole - a harmony that I think we long for to this day but can't find as we are all so damaged. And we no longer live in the Garden of Eden, but in a world run by Satan.

    But a repair and a restoration is in hand - and a rescue is so close. That is the wonderful news we are trying to bring to every doorstep in the world.

    ReplyDelete