Sunday 8 December 2013

A Brain about the size of the Tip of a Ballpoint Pen

And, no, I am not talking about my brain, for reasons which will become clear if you read on.   We were discussing the Monarch butterfly at the Hall today.  It has a brain about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen and yet that brain is so complex that the butterfly has the ability to migrate nearly 3,000 kilometres from Canada to a particular forest in Mexico - where it is known as the Mariposa (a beautiful name for a beautiful creature). It uses the sun to help it navigate. And its brain is designed with the ability to compensate for the sun's movement.

This is something beyond any computer we have yet to design.  So can't we clearly see that this is not the work of a blind watchmaker, but the work of the Grand Creator, the Grand Designer, Jehovah?

And, given that I am the sort of person who can't find the way up their garden path to their own front door without having to stop and ask passing butterflies for directions, I am not going to speculate about the size of my brain.  I shall plead the Fifth Amendment.
Captain Butterfly is back from a dig - no hoard today - but he has brought back a treasure of photos from Chanctonbury Ring.   I want to appropriate one for the blog.   Linda came over bringing home-made mince pies and biscuits (she is a wonderful cook), and flowers for me, and some salad.   I am so glad she has ended up living within visiting distance - the only one from Planet Expat who has.  


No comments:

Post a Comment