Tuesday 17 December 2013

My first ever comment

...in The Guardian.   There is a discussion going on about the benefit cuts and the bedroom tax, and it has taken a sidestream into a discussion about the Salvation Army. Which reminded me of something in a George Orwell I have recently re-read, so I commented as follows:

George Orwell ends "Down and Out in Paris and London" with these words:
"Still I can point to one or two things I have definitely learned by being hard up. I shall never again think that all tramps are drunken scoundrels, nor expect a beggar to be grateful when I give him a penny, nor be surprised if men out of work lack energy, nor subscribe to the Salvation Army...."

The paragraph ends "nor pawn my clothes, nor refuse a handbill, nor enjoy a meal in a smart restaurant. That is a beginning."

Today was taken up with medical matters - two rather unpleasant and painful tests - oh joy.  It was grey and rainy all day - there is a name I have now forgotten for when the weather is in sympathy with the trials of the heroine -and if I could only remember what it was, I would have used it here.

And we were woken in the early hours as Col got a call out to a rescue.  So I was bumbling sleepily about making him sandwiches.  Thankfully I had two slices of bread left with which to do so - otherwise I too would have been needing a rescue.

The Misper (missing person to peasants such as myself) was found, safe and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment