Wednesday 8 January 2014

The Plans of Mice and Men

I don't know if there are a lot of thwarted mice around this morning, but my plans for yesterday went agley. The Captain was out a'searching and a'rescuing all day - and I can't drive or shop -so he had to race back to the station to pick up Julia and they stopped off at the fish and chip shop on the way back and at Lidl's for desserts and fruit. All I had to do was set the table and warm the plates up.

Julia bought us a bottle of Oyster Bay - a NZ wine which is our favourite, and Jackie's.  But she bought the red version, which I didn't even know existed.  It was lovely.  And she bought us a giant tin of chocolate biscuits from M & S.  The biscuits will be lovely too course, but the tin is perfect as its not only pretty but just the right size for a cake tin. something I don't seem to possess at the moment. I left a lot of stuff behind in our kitchen in ExpatWorld when we finally left.

I spent the day tidying, polishing, and making some little cakes.  And studying.

She and the Captain have gone to the Wildlife Photo Exhibition in London today.  I wish I could have gone - always used to.  But, until I get my second new knee....  Anyway, it was good of Julia to come all the way down as he now has someone to go with.  I made them both a packed lunch (cheese sandwiches and carrot cake).

It will be nice to have Julia back in the UK once she retires, and I hope we will then meet up with her dogs again - Sophie and Mishka.  I am sure they will not have forgotten us. We have not forgotten them.

Audrey is still in hospital following her fall, but so far it seems nothing is broken.   I have a big hospital day coming up, for my Joint School.  And I spent a lot of time on the phone with my young surgeon yesterday as he tried to settle just which date my operation is supposed to be on.

I dread every moment of it, now that I know just what I am in for.

No comments:

Post a Comment