Monday 18 August 2014

The Feeling of Autumn

Grey Heron, Ardea cinerea
A beautiful day, but with a real feeling of Autumn  in the air.  Its my favourite season - although I love them all.  The Captain marched me off to the Park yesterday evening. There was a lovely light, and we saw a heron posing, spotlit.   Col got lots of photos.

It was much easier to walk to the pond this time, so that was encouraging. I sat and enjoyed the beauty of the late summer evening, and thanked Jehovah for it.  There weren't many people about - some dog walkers - some happy dogs - and an Asian family feeding the ducks. Their little girl, in a pink tracksuit top and pink trainers, found a handful of seagull feathers on the grass.   She took one in each hand and flew along with them, her arms outstretched.

I sometimes feel my own childhood curving back to meet me  - remembering how much fun we got from the flowers, and the seeds, and the feathers.    We used to play soldiers with plantains.  And I still feel excited when I see a chestnut glistening among the fallen leaves.  We used to play Noah's ark with shoeboxes and herd our china and plastic animal collections on board, just in time. And we had hours of fun on rainy days drawing villages on large sheets of cartridge paper.

Or is this my second childhood talking?

No comments:

Post a Comment