Thursday 6 August 2015

Elizabethan Serenade

Listening to Elizabethan Serenade by Ron Goodwin while looking out over a calm grey English Channel from our retirement flat fills me full of strange feelings - an Autumnal sadness mixed with the feeling of a Spring day.  Perhaps its the two ends of my life meeting?   The 1950s - a time of great hope for a brave new world, a time of youth and looking forward. But a vanished age, as distant from children of today as the Victorian Era was to us then.

If I ever become famous (and I am running out of time) and I am invited to go on Desert Island discs, then Elizabethan Serenade would be my first musical choice.    And I would end with this song from our Kingdom Songbook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B_pjmHuOOY

So I will begin and end on a note of hope.  Real hope, in the second case.

Cilla Black has just died.  In her home in Spain, apparently from natural causes.  She was only a few years older than us.  Will Jehovah call her from the dreamless sleep of death when the time comes?   If she is safe in "the everlasting arms" then, yes, nothing can stop it.

She was a part of our youth - of so many people's youth.  I remember her as the young singer, belting out the hits.  We, my mother and I, loved her look.   But her career lasted long beyond that, so she clearly had a good manager in her husband Bobbie.

Bob and Judy have just left for Arundel, having stayed with us a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment