Monday 25 September 2017

Janie

 I heard today through a facebook post that a very old friend, Mary Jane, has died. She died in March - and apparently quite a few of her friends do not yet know it.   And, yes, who would have told us.  Her mother would have, but she died a year ago.

Janie and I knew each other from the age of 12, when her family moved in next door to ours.  We have kept in touch over the years, though recently it has been a matter of an end of year letter, but she has been down here to stay with us.  We always got on well as a couple with both her husbands...

Her second husband - her happiest marriage - died many years ago, very young. And she never married again.

I hope that she is safe in "the everlasting arms" - safe in God's memory, along with Barrie- and that when the time comes for the dead to wake, he will be the first person that she sees.

They are holding a Memorial for her in Medicine Hat - where she lived for many years.  Col and I will have a glass of wine for her tonight. He liked Janie a lot - they got on really well.

I have managed to contact the lady in Medicine Hat who says she only has one contract for Janie - who I think is her sister in law.  I have asked her if she could let me have it, IF she feels OK about sending it to me.

Its a sad old world we live in at the moment.  However, I hope I will see Janie again one day.


On a more mundane note, I did make it to my dental appointment this morning - but only because Captain Butterfly was my chauffeur.   All well, apart from one lost filling, which he neatly repaired in about 3 minutes with no drilling.   It was so quick I could hardly believe it when he told me.

"Right, I'll make my escape then" I said hurting off the couch at the speed of light.  Well, at the speed of a rather elderly light beam, zimmering through the universe, light years behind all the other beams.

He thought that was very funny so we ended the appointment on a laugh, which is the best way.

But then of course I got home to this melancholy news.

I have been playing "Elizabethan Serenade", which takes me back to the lost world of 1950s/60s England when Janie and first knew each other.


No comments:

Post a Comment