Wednesday 4 October 2017

Hearts and Minds

The headline news is about the massacre in Las Vegas when, we are told, one gunman has managed to kill nearly 60 people, and wound hundreds.  Motive unknown so far.    But we are being told that his father was a violent criminal... which reminds me of the worst shooting (so far) in the UK, in Dunblane, when the killer targeted a gym full of young schoolchildren. His family background was a very unhappy one. 

Why do some rise above it, but others spectacularly and tragically do not?  In her book "Without a Map" Meredith Hall finds the young child she was forced to give up for adoption - and finds he was handed over to a childhood of severe abuse - his body is covered with scars.

Yet he is the most amazing and loving young man.

There is now a big debate about gun laws in the US.  And, taking no sides in it, it is surely hearts and minds that need to change, not so much laws. The criminally violent will always be able to get guns for as long as this violent system of things goes on on the earth.

And, talking of changing hearts and minds - God's inspired word has unparalleled power to do that.  So it was back to the field  Tuesday morning - and it was surprisingly hard to make myself get out there after a week off. So glad I did, as I knew I would be.   My sister and I did nearly two hours, which is good for me these days - we finished our territory and managed a couple of return visits on our way back home.

But I am so far behind with everything once again.  People sometimes say that if you talk to us, we won't stop calling. But I wonder if anyone thinks how difficult it is to get back to all your calls, and when you do, to find them at home again?

I never gave it a thought. I do now of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment