Tuesday 12 December 2017

Creatures of the Night - and a Nightmare

Michael (Blencowe) gave the talk at the Arundel Wetland Trust last night - interesting, funny and very fast.  He told us that this particular talk came out of his problems with sleeping. And, yes, its hard to imagine Michael resting, let alone sleeping.

One of the most surprising things to me was the way you can hear the calls of migrating birds in the night, in the early hours.  What journeys they make.   And also how invisible bears can be, given how big they are.  Oh - and don't pick up Armadillos - at least not in the USA - apparently they can carry leprosy!

The talk included a recording of the Boom of a Bittern - something I have never heard.

Jackie and Terry came with us, and enjoyed it very much.    And we had mulled wine and homemade mince pies in the break.

I had a bit of nightmare last night - the first one for ages. I put it down to "The Creatures of the Night" being so vivid, and all those stories about the Death's Head Hawksmoth.  Just as the dream took a frightening turn, I realised it was moving into the realms of spiritism, thought "No, I am not going there". And the dream stopped instantly. So thanks to Jehovah it was a failed nightmare.

It was very cold last night, the coldest night of the year, with ice everywhere this morning, so Jean and I did not go out on the work.  I dare not risk another fall.  I made another big casserole - this one chicken - with loads of veggies, and got the two magazines I have to post ready to go, along with two copies of "Waiting for Gordo" for friends.

Captain Butterfly took me to the Post Office in the afternoon and we posted the Awake magazines, and the Waitings - one to an old school friend who lives on the Isle of Wight, and one to Gale, a friend from Uni. She too has been published this year (again) - scholarly publications though.  Not fiction,   And we dropped my prescription in to the Pharmacy.  These medical things take up a lot of time in retirement...


No comments:

Post a Comment