Tuesday 2 January 2018

The Birth of a Kenburger

This seems an appropriate title to start a new year's blog.   A few days ago Ken asked me if I wanted to see the birth of a Kenburger.    I followed him into the kitchen, where a clay of lentil slurry lay on a chopping board, and watched as he processed it through a neat plastic device, turning out a row of perfect Kenburgers.

However, handsome is as handsome does, so did they taste as lovely as they looked?

Yes. They did. Fantastic. He could go into business with them.


Not a great end to 2017 as I woke up on Sunday morning even deafer than when I went to bed.  Captain Butterfly's voice was like a tiny distant radio.   Col and I (and half the population of Sheffield) went to Waitrose. Both Pen and Keith arrived just before lunch.  We made a couple of salads, and had Nute's home made quiche (excellent) supplemented by a Waitrose one.   Mince pies and ice-cream to follow.

Awkward lunch for me, as I couldn't hear what anyone was saying even when they shouted.

However, family came to the rescue. Phyllis suggested Vic - applied via cotton wool to the ear and Captain Butterfly had the brilliant idea of using the old fashioned vapour method - head over a bowl of hot water and Vic, towel over head.  I can hear again!  Thank God.  Though I to have an appointment with Audiology coming to find out what is going on.

Well, it is now 2018 - and I hope it will be a good year for all.   And that I am so grateful we are all still here.  We spent the first day of the New Year with old schoolfriends.  Jen gave us all a  lovely veggie lunch - veggie chili with rice and salad, followed by a brilliant bread and butter pudding and cheese and biscuits.  Col and I chauffered Kathryn, and Nute and Ken chauffered Penny.

We travelled back home today - good journey despite the rain - left bungalow 9.05, arrived here 2.40 - now must get unpacked, sorted and re-orientated.   I do feel some homesickness for family and The North, but we are already booked up for supper with Jacks, and its the meeting on Thursday so I think I will soon be absorbed into our life here.

No comments:

Post a Comment