Friday 2 February 2018

Moon - Alison Brackenbury and Walter de la Mare

I have been going round singing "Blue Moon" in honour of our recent moon. What a lovely world Jehovah made for us.  Unfortunately I do not have a lovely voice, so Captain B has been suffering. ("Shut up"  "Can I get you the indigestion tablets?" "SHUT UP!" etc.)

And here is a poem - a Walter de la Mare - a favourite of mine since Junior school.   Do they still teach children these lovely poems that praise the beauty of the creation?  I hope so.

Silver

Slowly, silently, now the moon
Walks the night in her silver shoon;
This way, and that, she peers, and sees
Silver fruit upon silver trees;
One by one the casements catch
Her beams beneath the silvery thatch;
Couched in his kennel, like a log,
With paws of silver sleeps the dog;
From their shadowy cote the white breasts peep
Of doves in a silver-feathered sleep;
A harvest mouse goes scampering by,
With silver claws and a silver eye;
And moveless fish in the water gleam,
By silver reeds in a silver stream.

Walter de la Mare




And this is another old favourite - though not so old - with a lovely appearance by the moon - and some great language - the doves flight being "astonished", for instance.

Outside the Circle
Alison Brackenbury

I worked through all your tricks, I slit the sleeves,
I tugged fine strings which joined the handkerchiefs.
The disappearing girl was always there
Crammed in compartments false as her dyed hair.
I burned the cards you nicked with hidden signs.

Solid as smoke, the moon walks on the square.
Magician, can you call back half your loves?
Dust, the empty seats await you there.
Light, and the astonished flight of doves.


Saw Maggie on Wednesday afternoon - my Knee calmed down enough for me to drive and has not developed into a full blown attack, for which I am very grateful. The one last week has left me worryingly exhausted.  Jackie comes for supper tomorrow - it will be curry from the Waitrose chill cabinet, as I know I won't have the time or energy to cook.

Am now behind with all my return visits... I hope I can catch up a bit at at the weekend.

My nephew who has been in intensive care in a hospital induced coma is starting to wake up and seems to be himself in the glimpses the family are getting.   Very grateful for that too.

No comments:

Post a Comment