Thursday 5 April 2018

MRS RAVOON and Mrs Raven

Many years ago. during my time on PlanetExpat, the competition in The Speccie was to write a MRS RAVOON poem.

This link explains the genre:
http://mrsravoon.com/mrs-ravoon/

And I thought - At last, a competition I can enter!  (They are usually far above my abilities.)   So I decided I would address the question of where the monstrous lady came from in the first place.

And this is what I wrote and entered:

MRS RAVOON

The ship has returned from the alien star
Captain and crew, who knows where they are?
Nothing inside but a large silk cocoon
in which form the features of MRS RAVOON

I didn't win.  Or even get a mention.  But I still quite like it. 

And Mrs Raven, of the TV series "My Hero" was a bit of a MRS RAVOON.  She was the doctor's terrifying receptionist - and in one episode she even became, briefly, a malicious superhero, The Raven.

I remember this excellent moment when she is tormenting all the waiting patients even more than usual with her rules and regs, and one guy shouts at her "This is just like Nazi Germany!".

"Why, thank you,"  says Mrs R. a rare wintry smile flickering across her face.

Its Wednesday morning, as I am writing this, (but probably won't post this till tomorrow), we are off to Chichester for my postponed ear appointment.  I foresee a long long wait, a depressing interlude of me saying "What?" to all their questions... and perhaps no answer beyond everything is wearing out.  I am wondering if I should ask the Captain to take me for lunch in Chi after...it will depend how we feel I guess, plus it is the Easter hols, so everything might be rather crowded, especially the car parks.

We can remember a time when you could drive into central London for an evening out without parking worries.  That is how old we are,

The weather is still cold and damp with thundery showers forecast - hail - and snow in Scotland.  So March came in like a lion and went out like a lion.

It all went well yesterday - though the Clinic was running late, they did my tests while I was waiting and then I saw a very nice doctor - who is puzzled by my ears.  Like everyone.  Yes, I have pronounced hearing loss, but why it comes and goes is the puzzle. So I am now waiting for a Scan, and then I will see him again.

I did manage to get over to see Maggie, though only for half an hour.   She was delighted to see  me, but all visitors delight her. She doesn't know who I am any more.  But as long as she wants visitors, I hope to be able to keep going.


No comments:

Post a Comment