Wednesday 2 May 2018

Littlehampton's Most Wanted

Littlehampton's Most Wanted - aka Jean and myself - were stopped by the Police Tuesday morning.  We had been working in Angmering and I was just driving Jean home via one of her magazine route calls when we stopped at a pedestrian crossing. Suddenly a young policeman on a motorbike drove in front of us with a stern command to stay there.

This is it, I thought.  I am going to get a real telling off - at best.  I was just starting to say "I'm very sorry, officer" wondering what it was I had done, or not done - not speeding at any rate -  when he said "Heavy load coming through, please stay there till I tell you."

 "I thought I had done something wrong" I said.  "What a relief".

He stayed beside us for a bit, chatting, while the queue built up behind us and, I guess, brought the big roundabout to a standstill.  Then he said "When the car with the flashing Police lights has gone by", you can drive on.

"Thanks" we said happily watching this great lorry with a strange bulging, yet hollow, Something on it drive slowly past us, followed by the lights-flashing police car.   We then drove on.

All quite exciting!  Or so I thought until I tried to tell Captain B all about it.   So  I don't know. I am one for routine, not excitement, except in very small doses. And now, in retirement, I have a routine that I love.  That was enough excitement for me anyway.

I got another lovely review of "Waiting for Gordo" - from a real author - so I must remember to publish that in my next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment